Pro Sports Games Are Back! Everything You Need to Know
Time flies when there’s an international pandemic. It’s been nearly two months of self-quarantine, N95 face masks, and social distancing. In some ways, it feels like the world has been put on pause for eight weeks. But something feels a bit different now.
The world is eager to go back to normal, and we see that some countries are beginning to ease restrictions slowly. People are returning to their workplaces, and restaurants are slowly coming back to life. Greece is even planning to allow tourists in for summer vacation and possibly the biggest news of all – Sports games are slowly returning to the fields. You know what that means, right? Traffic hype is coming your way.
For sports fans, the most exciting thing that’s happening right now is the slow return of soccer. According to ESPN, some teams have been starting up practices, and others are planning to put on matches in the upcoming weeks. First in line is the German Bundesliga, with its first match on May 16th. Italian Serie A, Spain’s La Liga, and England’s premier league expected to follow, so a big traffic wave is coming.
Fans won’t be allowed into the stadium, and while there are still conflicts over the exact format to be used when the top flight resumes, widening access for fans to view live coverage goes without a doubt. Millions of fans around the world will have to stream the games online instead of watching from the stands, and this is why we’re expecting some major growth to streaming sites.
Other sports are making a comeback as well. For example, Golf’s biggest event of the year—the PGS Tour—is set for June, and there’s a massive buzz around NASCAR Cup Series, planned to resume races next week. On the other hand, basketball fans are likely to be disappointed. The NBA postponed the draft lottery and draft combine, both of which typically takes place in May. There’s a word they may even push the NBA draft on June 25th.
Are you ready for sports traffic?
Dedicated sports fans have desperately missed watching their favorite athletes (or any athletes, for that matter) play. To put it simply, people have missed sports! Plus, sport is an excellent form of escapism. We’re all stuck inside bored out of our minds, so the excitement of sports games will be hard to resist. Many fans are going to get into betting to stay entertained and keep their minds off everything that’s going on.
These are exciting times, and a real big opportunity for publishers to elevate their business with the right approach. Here are a few things you need to do so you’ll be fully ready for all those sports games rush:
- Stay Up to Date – COVID19 taught us how to embrace changes, and this time no different. There are expected to be a lot of changes in dates and also in creating a real-time remote fan experience. To make it work, publishers will need to learn to adjust to the new format of sports games. Follow up and keep yourself updated with all relevant information so you’ll be fully prepared for whatever happens next.
- Prepare your website – 1/3 of fans stream games on their mobile device, and even those who aren’t watching on their phone are still on the web: 80% of sports viewers use a computer or smartphone while watching live sports on TV to search for live scores, message other fans, and watch related videos. So, make sure your website is optimized to its best for both mobile and desktop, and that’s it is ready for all this traffic rush.
- Create a Buzz – Gambling and betting are red-hot verticals in standard times, and because nowadays people need something to distract them from everything going on, it’s only going to get bigger. People want to be excited and intrigued, so now is the time to be creative and plan accordingly. You can create a countdown on your website before the big games, or create eye-catching content like players/team stats to attract users before the game starts.
- Location, Location, Location – Traditionally, the US, Canada, and Mexico are great GEOs for sports betting verticals. But thanks to COVID19, we’re all ready for some entertainment, so try reaching out for new GEOs. We think Latin America is going to get big in the market, so try there.
- Give fans what they want – When it comes to the betting and sports vertical, make the most of the athletes’ fan base. You can target them and their passion for gambling to make a serious dent in the market. Think of the user experience and give them the best online experience they can get after waiting for these games for such a long time.
As countries around the world reopen, sports fans can’t wait for games and matches to resume, and this can definitely be your shot. Despite all this uncertainty among sports leagues due to the Coronavirus outbreak, it’s super comforting to know that sports games are showing a new kind of routine.
We are expecting to see an uptick in sports in the coming weeks and months, so the best thing to do is to keep an eye on the updates and get ready for whatever the big leagues have to offer during Corona days.
Don’t waste this opportunity to get back in the game.
Stay safe and SCORE!